WELCOME!


Powered by IP2Location.com

Friday, April 4, 2008

Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup


This is one protein rich and much richer tasting soup.All those Sienfeld fans out there would have surely heard this name in the soup nazi episode. This is a very easy to make soup and so sumptuous and filling that u can have this alone for ur supper maybe accompanied with some nice toasted bread... yummmmm...! did u know?....some facts about this soup? got it from wikipedia....here it goes..

Mulligatawny is a type of Anglo-Indian soup. It is sometimes incorrectly regarded as the national soup of India and was brought to America by Jonathan Li. A literal translation from Tamil is "pepper water" ('Millagu' is pepper and 'Thanni' is water). Despite the name, pepper itself is not a vital ingredient. Rice and noodles are commonly served in the soup; the real dish the Anglo-Indians call "pepper water" is closer to Tamilian rasam (pronounced Russ-um) than mulligatawny.
Variations differ very much. Sometimes, the soup has a turmeric-like yellow color and is garnished with parsley and chicken meat, and is more soupy, which takes on its Anglo-Indian adaptation to be a thick, spicy meat soup.
Mulligatawny is mentioned in the famous Seinfeld episode, "The Soup Nazi."

This soup is normally made with rice and noodles and chicken n meat and what not... but today iam gonna make this soup...with my own recipe, what I figured out could be added in this soup to get the true vegetarian taste and flavour or the Veggies. I had this soup once in an indian restaurant here in Los angeles, and from then on was crazy to try out this recipe. I searched the net throughout for the actual traditional recipe... never got one till date. Fed up of all the wait I finally tried it out "My way" and the result was this lovely soup...just like the one I tasted.I was satisfied with the outcome. Hope u like it too. This is one soup iam sure you all gonna love.... Do check it out!...

P:S: Anyone who came across the traditional "vegetarian Mulligatawny soup recipe" do pass it on to me... or do give me ur advice if u feel i have left some specific ingredient needed for this soup. All comments welcome. Thank you. uh uh uh.... well now, finishing my thank u speech, i would like to now proceed towards the recipe of this delicious healthy n filling soup....This recipe calls for a lot of turmeric compared to the usual amount that we put......u should have the taste of turmeric coming in ur mouth...thats the trick in this soup. If u dont like the taste u may always reduce the amount according to your taste....I promise the soup will yet taste very very tasty.......





"" On my blogger friend siri's suggestion Iam sending this soup recipe for the ongoing event, Live STRONG with a taste of Yellow - 2008 hosted by Barbara of http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/post.html ""

Thanks siri for the lovely suggestion. I am in :D



For this recipe you need:

Yellow lentils (toor dal) - 1 1/4 cup
French cut beans - handful
Peas - 1/2 cup
Sweet corn kernel - 1/4 cup
Carrot - 1 finely julianed or grated
Potato - 1/2 medium potato chopped
Ginger - 1" piece finely chopped
Garlic - 1 pod finely chopped
Garam Masala - 3 tsp
Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
Green chillies - 2-3
Salt to taste
Ghee /butter - 1 tsp
Fresh Coriander leaves
Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1tsp


Method:
In a small pressure pan or cooker put the dal, vegetables and all the other ingredients in the cooker. Pour in aprox 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water in it and cook in the pressure cooker giving 2 whistles.If ur having a big cooker u can keep the daal and the vegetables in seperate containers and cook. Later u can mix them together in a pan adding all the masalas.I prefer making it in the cooker itself as its much easier.

Once the daal is cooked, off the gas and let the pressure be released.
Now check the consistency of the soup if it is too thick, add 1-2 cups of water as needed and let it boil well. Add a spoon of butter or ghee to the soup and mix well.Garnish with coriander leaves before serving..




Serve hot as a main dish or as an appetiser. Enjoy! Tastes very nice with sourdough bread.


11 comments:

Dhivya said...

looks so yummm

Madhavi said...

Soup looks so good, nice recipe as well!!!

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Thanx Dhivya and Madhavi.Do keep visiting my blog and give me ur nice comments..

Srilatha said...

hey shubha - thanks for dropping by my blog!.. the soup looks yummy and is perfect for the ongoing LiveStrong with a taste of Yellow event..for more details:

http://events-n-roundups.blogspot.com/

and click on the event name in the list..:D

take care and cya!

Siri

Lisa Turner said...

This does sound delicious. I really enjoy a bowl of mulligatawny soup. I have made my own version. If you are interested, you can find it here.

This is my first time visiting your blog but I will be back. You have some fantastic recipes here!

Shubha Ravikoti said...

@ siri thanx a lot siri..have sent my entry for the event... thanx for the suggestion... keep visiting my blog...

@ Lisa... Wow lisa i never came across this one... lovely recipe... would try to include the other ingredients in my mulligatawny recipe when i make it next time. thanx a lot...

Keep visiting my blog...

Unknown said...

A delicious yellow soup Shubha. Thank you for supporting A Taste Of Yellow.

Anonymous said...

that soup looks mouth wateringly delicous! mmmmm

timetraveler said...

How much is one and a half glass, as in "Method: In a small pressure pan or cooker put the dal, vegetables and all the other ingredients in the cooker. Pour in 1 1/2 glass of water in it."

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Sorry dear time traveller... I meant 1 and 1/2 cup...(thanks for bringing it to my notice...:) will correct it now..:)

Valerie said...

I was searching for a good recipe for vegetarian Mulligatawny and this looks ans sounds delicious. I will try this recipe this week. Thanks.