WELCOME!


Powered by IP2Location.com

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mushroom curry puff

Curry puff / Vegetable puff is something you will find in every Iyer bakery or small bakery in India. How I used to love them. Every time I went to Monginis I never used to leave the store without a curry puff or egg puff stuffed in mouth.I was so happy to hear some similar stories from my hubby "R'" after marriage. R is crazy about curry puff and I was so happy to know that he made them once here in US for some potluck party. Hearing this my craving for the puff started and I wanted to try it then and there......He did tell me the method in a brief way...or rather confusing manner.....that I prefered to depend on the internet than on my hubby for the recipe......u know how a bachelor would cook something specially during his school days...here in US...(I am really not trying to accuse all those bachelors who cook sooo well. kudos to u guys..:D.)

I had never used the puff pastry sheets and had no idea how they looked or how I have to work with them......So still confused and craving for the curry puff I kept searching for the perfect recipe... and i stumbled up on this one here...http://sailurecipes.blogspot.com/2008/03/curry-puff.html

Sailu has shown the method of making the curry puff so well that it cleared all my dilemas...:D

I made the masala bhaji on my own with my own ingredients... but u can check the link above for detailed step by step pics...:D

So here goes the recipe :d

You need :

Puff Pastry sheets - 1 pack (u have 2 sheets in these)

Potatoes - 2 diced and boiled

Peas - 1 cup

Mushrooms - 5-6 finely chopped

Red chilli powder - 2 tsp

Garam masala - 2 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1tsp

Salt to taste

Oil

Fresh Coriander leaves

Method :

Keep the puff pastry sheet out of the freeze to thaw. Also in the meantine, preheat the oven to 400 degree F .

In the meantime prepare your bhaji for the puff. Take a big pan and pour some oil in it.Heat the oil and add in the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add the peas to it. Let the peas cook a bit and become soft. I used frozen peas, so it didnt take much time to cook. Now add in the Potatoes and saute well till the potaotes change colour lightly. Now add all the dry masala and mix well. Lastly,add the mushrooms and mix well. Cook the bhaji covered for 5-7 minutes. Now remove the lid and let the vegetables cook on medium heat for about 10 more minutes.Once all the vegetables are cooked remove from gas and keep aside to cool down. Leave the vegetables till they come to room temperature. The filling shoudn't be hot. Wait till it cools down well before stuffing them in the puff.

Now,cut ur puffs pastry sheets in rectangle (As shown in sailu's link above..) or square. If you cut a square, put ur filling in the lower left corner of ur square, brush water to the opposite edges and join the diagonal corners to form a triangle. (I am so sorry I dont have step wise pics of this... will post them when I make my next batch..). I made this way as I wanted small puffs with less filling inside.....U may use the method sailu have given.

Once u have stuffed all ur curry puffs, place them in a cookie sheet or oven proof dishes and bake them. Reduce the heat of the oven to 375degree F and place the puffs in the oven for about 30 - 35 minutes.Once u see that the puff have turned golden brown in colour, off the oven and let it remain inside for 10 mins or so. Now, remove from the oven and serve hot.


Curry puff and a piece of chocolate cake


What more do u need than Tasty hot curry puff and a piece of chocolate cake? Serve hot with Tomato Sauce. A lovely tea time snack.

No comments: