Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Eggless Triple Chocolate Cake
It looks yummy right? It tasted yummier...trust me. I made this cake for this new year of 2011 with some help from "R" who actually offered to help me out with baking this cake. He was surprised on how simple it is to bake...."provided you follow the measurements" :) This is very simple cake and it is eggless. I got the Idea of making this from Anu's blog Mriganayani .
Her chocoholics cake was awesome n looked so tempting... that I had to try it out :)
I call it Triple chocolate coz its a dark chocolate cake with chocolate icing and dark chocolate ganache. Three delicious layers of chocolate...:) I made few changes to the recipe... but the idea is fully from Anu's blog.
Ingredients for the cake :
yields one 8-9" cake
All purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract /essence - 1 1/2 tsp
Canola oil - 1/3 cup
White Distilled Vinegar - 1 tbsp
Cold water - 1 cup
Ingredients for Chocolate Icing :
( to cover two 9" cake with the filling of icing in between)
Butter - 1cup (2 stick)
Unsweetened Cocoa - 1 cup
Powdered Sugar - 1 1/4 cup
Milk - 2/3 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Ingredients for the Chocolate Ganache :
Dark Chocolate chips : 1 cup
Whipping cream - 3/4 cup
Corn Syrup - 1 tsp (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F. Firstly bake the cake. From the ingredients given for the chocolate cake mix all the dry ingredients (except salt n sugar) and sift it atleast two times. 2) In another bowl wisk together all the wet ingredients with salt and sugar. Wisk well to dissolve the sugar and salt in the vinegar, oil n water mixture. 3) Slowly keep adding the dry mixture into the wet ones. Mixing with a hand blender so that the batter becomes aereated and has no lumps in it. 4) Once the batter is smooth, pour it into two 8-9" greased cake pan and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Keep checking inbetween.5) Mine were done in 22 minutes, so please keep checking and do a toothpick test before removing the cake out of the oven. 6) Take it out and invert it on a cooling rack for cooling down. Once cooled wrap it in a plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer or fridge for cooling. It helps best if the cake is cool before u start icing.
7) For the icing, beat room temperature butter in a deep bowl. Add powdered sugar little by little and beat until the icing is fluffy n smooth. Add cocoa powder, vanilla essence and beat again until smooth n creamy. 8) If u want to do a crumb coating ur icing should be of a spreadable consistency. So add milk to the icing little by little to make is thinner and easily spreadable. 9) If u want to use ur icing for decorating keep the icing thick. Piping designs hold better when the icing is thick. Keep icing aside.
10) Prepare the ganache by boiling cream in a pot. 11) Take the chocolate chips in a bowl and when the cream is in a rolling boil pour it on the chocolate chips. 12) Let it stay for 2 minutes and then stir well using a wisk until the chocolate blend in with the cream. Let it form a smooth creamy chocolate sauce. Add corn syrup to the sauce to add that shine to the chocolate sauce. Keep aside in room temperature or in a warm place. Remember it should be cool or room temperature when ur r pouring it on the cake.
Assembly of the cake :
1) Keep on cake on the cut cardboard on which u will serve ur cake. Place small plastic sheet/ parchement or foil sheets below the cake and over the board... so that the icing and ganache when put on the cake dont spoil ur cake board.Cut the rough or hard edges of the cakes well and remove the crumbs if any. 2) Put about a big spoonful of icing on one cake (this form the lower layer of ur 2 layered cake). Spread it on the cake to form a thick layer of the icing. 3) Place the second cake on it and spread another big spoonful of icing on it. Cover even the sides of the cake in a thin layer of icing. This is called the crumb coat.
4) Keep the iced cake in the freezer for 30 minutes or so... for the crumb coating to become hard. 5) Remove and spread another thick layer of the icing on the top and sides of the cake. Smooth it well. 6) Now u can either decorate it with the remaining icing and piping bags...or use the ganache as i did...:) This cake will take awesome even without the ganache..:)
7) Keep the cake on a clean serving. Spread some plastic sheets to collect the falling ganache. 8) Now pour the cooled ganache on the cake... let it overflow and drip from the edge. 8)I used a serving spoon and kinda splashed it on the sides to cover the cake completely. Let this cake stay in the until the ganache solidifies a bit. Remove the plastic pieces kept for protection... Ur cake is ready to be served n enjoyed..:)
Hope ur enjoyed this recipe...:) Do give me ur valuable opinion on the same. Love u guys.. and have a great year ahead :)