WELCOME!


Powered by IP2Location.com

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Vadiyams.....thanks to the summer heat.


Summer is here and so r my vadiyams... ready to be munched :) Yeah this summer i made some sagubiyam vadiyams/jauarusi vadams and it came out really good. I remember my mom and my granny used to make this every summer.Ohh thats so was long back... when we were in Nagpur... hmmm after we shifted to the busy Mumbai, that got left behind. We didnt have a balcony or personal terrace to dry those vadiyams and the busy mumbai life never gave my mom time to make these at home.

Now, after so many years, when I see the sunlight pouring in inside our house and small patio, I remembered those old days again. I faintly remembered how my mom used to make those vadiyams. Yeah, I was a kid then but I do remember how she made it, coz I used to stand next to her all the time when she used to make the batter for the vadams. And when its done I would cry for a cup full of batter. Hehehhe I used to eat it just like that and it tasted so yummy...Hmm I miss all that... I miss u maa and ur cooking so much... hmmm

So here I am back to my vadiyams. Its pretty easy to make but u need lots of patience to allow it to dry completely. To make this

You need :

Indian pearl sago/ Jauarusi - 2 cups

Green chillies - 2 to 3

Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1 tsp

Toasted Sesame seeds - 3 tsp

Coconut oil - 1 tbsp

Salt to taste

Method :

Wash the sago well in warm water. drain the water and keep it aside for 1 hour. After one hour pour in half a glass of water to it and keep it to soak for overnight.By morning the sago will be swollen and nicely soaked.

In a big pot take some oil and put in the jeera, and the green chillies. Saute for some time but take care that u dont burn it. Now, add the the soaked sago to the pot and mix well. Add around 5 glasses of water to the pot. Add the salt,(put a bit lesser than u normally do..) and coconut oil to the pot and bring to a boil. When its done add toasted sesame to the batter and mix well. Cool it to room temperature. The batter has to become a bit thick, and the sago should cook well. The batter shouldn't be runny. But also remember that the batter will become very thick after it cools down, so be a bit judgemental about when to remove ur batter from the flame. If it thickens a lot, just add a bit of water and heat it for 5 minutes. you are ready.

Now spread a nice clean plastic sheet in your patio. Remember to clean the surface well before spreading the sheet. Now pour a spoonful of batter on the plastic sheet in a pattern and make small circles. Let it dry for a day or 2 until the surface of the vadam dries up. Once its done peel it and flip it to the other side and let the other side dry up well. Once the vadams are dried up and are not any more soft or sticky remove them and keep it on a plate and keep it under the sun for 1 whole day. Your vadams are ready to be fried and munched. Deep fry fo the extra taste. Orelse you can even brush some oil on it and microwave it for 40 seconds. Thats wt i do and it taste good. :)





Lovely snack. Serve along with rice and any gravy. :) Or just munch away as we do.

7 comments:

Hetal said...

Hey I love these papads(vadiyams),gr8 that u made these at home..

Uma said...

Hey, looks like everything fixed! good job dear!

Wow, you made vadiyams at home? lucky you. those look so good.

Shubha Ravikoti said...

Thank u Uma and Hetal.

@ uma yeah now it seems its fixed... waiting for my updates to reappear in TOI...:D

Swati Raman Garg said...

tell me waht happened exactly... anyhow hats off to u buddy u have made it with perfectiion, u know we used to make it at home when we were kids, but our work was only to put them on the plastic sheets, turn them around when one side is done, and sit as scarecrows to save them from crows.. :) thanks buddy for refreshing the memories..

Beyond Curries said...

Wow Shubha, do you prepare vadiyams right from scratch. Great, indeed. It looks perfect.

Maggie said...

I'm a lentil papadum addict from way back and these sound really good.

raaji said...

hi shubha,
Am new to ur blog.....am basically from andhra..so we call them vadiyalu...its great that u cud make them on your own....good job...i recently became a part of food blogroll....so thought of introducing myself.checkout my blog at
http://raajis-kitchen.blogspot.com/