WELCOME!


Powered by IP2Location.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Khiar Be Laban For Awed...Now to Frozen Yoghurt and Herb mania.



I am sending this recipe for the Herb Mania-Fresh mint Event hosted by Dee of Ammulu' s Kitchen.Thanks Dee for the lovely topic.:)

I am also sending this Khiar be laban for the Frozen Yoghurt event hosted by Siri of Siri's corner. I love yoghurt... Thank u Siri for this lovely event.
I am reposting this post for the yoghurt and herb mania event. As usual I have been absent minded and didnt check these event details earlier. So, here goes my entry..:)

Phew! so many events and the same due dates... It becoming madenning. There are sooooooooo many event going on in the food blogsphere. Each and every event is unique and I have the itch of participating in every event. But then it becomes so difficult to cope up with so many of them.... Phew! phew!... So today is the due date for 2 big events.. the RCI and the AWED. I was keen on taking part in both the events. Just few minutes back I posted my entry for the RCI and now come my entry to the AWED.


Since childhood I have the habit of keeping things till the last minute. And I have successfully continued it till now... keeping things for last minute... hmmm.....So here goes my entry...:)

Khair be laban.....Cucumber in Minted yoghurt. I found this recipe is Meedo and zainab's blog, Arabic Bites.This is a lebaneese recipe and is very easy to make and so delicious. This is somewhat similar to the cucumber raita that we make. It is made of different ways in different regions of Lebanon, some add onions, other herbs or raisins. In the Lebanese cuisine, dairy products are of great importance, particularly yoghurt which is one of the bases of food.

In summer, it is often served in the mezzé. It is such a simple recipe and its so good for these hot summers... Yummm! You can find the original recipe here.


You need :

Cucumber : 1 peeled and shredded
Salt to taste
Mint - 1/2 cup finely chopped
fresh corinader leaves - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Yoghurt - 2 cups
buttermilk - 1 cup (optional)


Method :

Peel the cucumber and grate it. Sometimes the cucumbers are bitter...so to remove the bitterness u can cut the top of the cucumber and rub it on the cut part in a circular motion. It gives out a white foamy substance... Do this for around 5 minutes and ur cucumbers r ready for shredding....:)

When I was making this.... I had the slightest doubt that my cucumber would be bitter. So I happily went on to grate it and later discovered it was very very bitter. Thank god I got it before I added yoghurt to the cucumber. Add salt to the grated cucumber and leave it for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the grated cucumber into a bowl. Done all the biiterness is gone..:)

Now to the grated cucumber add all the given ingredients and mix well. Your Khiar be laban is ready.....:) U can add the buttermilk and mail ur Khiar be laban a bit wattery or skip the buttermilk and make it nice and thick.


Serve as a dip or as a side to any pulao





This is my entry to the AWED - Middle eastern cuisine hosted by Siri of Siri's corner. One more event.. finely accomplished. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more to gooo :( phew!





20 comments:

ST said...

Lovely and Gr8 entry.Cucumber and minted yogurt looks yummy.

FH said...

Great entry, very new to me!:)

Unknown said...

Hey that looks cool and refreshing :) Easy breezy yoghurt dip:)

Uma said...

delicious and cooling entry, Shubha! Looks so good.

Hetal said...

hi...I have something for you in my blog....

Srivalli said...

this is what I planned to do to..:(...couldn't make it...it looks good...

btw send this to Dee's herb mania..its mint this month!

Cham said...

Phew, phew.... yes so many to catch up this days....But u made it, love the last min dip, looks cool and refreshing ...

Dee said...

isnt it the most relishing dish in the whole word , cucumber and yogurt ?

ranji said...

cool and refreshing dish..perfect summer treat :)..good entry...:)

@the_whisk_affair said...

nice entry shubha!! but sadly, i dont like mint too much, but that doesnt mean that i wont try this out!! i will, sometime soon ;-)

Unknown said...

Shubha..had been on a break for a week..U have cute delicious entries in ur blog..Drooling over all of them

Dori said...

I love this, it tastes so good with so many things!

Swati Raman Garg said...

this is one refreshing entry shubha... yaar ek baat batao.. tum itna energy lati kahan se ho

Sailaja said...

this looks yummy

Dee said...

thanks for participating and the logo too Subha . thanks!!

Anonymous said...

nice recipe shubhaand thank u so much for the award....i'll comeback with a good summer treat and ur award...thank u for bringing me back again.

Anonymous said...

nice recipe shubhaand thank u so much for the award....i'll comeback with a good summer treat and ur award...thank u for bringing me back again.

Anonymous said...

tht seems so simple and refreshing - especially during the summer :)

Srikitchen said...

hi shubha
i got a friend in ur name when i was doing my PG. so u make me to remember her whenever u post a mail for me in Great Cooks Community. ur blog is looking too nice dear. when i see all ur awards u have received it inspired me more to do something in my blog also. u already sugested me to post pics. and surely i will do that. u too plz suggest me more how can i upgrade my blog to receive such great awards like u

Srikitchen said...

happy to inform u that i have added ur blog to my blogroll dear.