WELCOME!


Powered by IP2Location.com

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Masala Utthappam


You all must have eaten masala dosa...but have u ever tired masala uttappam? I ate this first time in a restaurant near my place back in Thane. It was so tasty and yummy. So anytime u have the masala filling and dosa batter why not try this than the conventional Masala dosa..:)


Ingredients :

Dosa batter
Oil for cooking
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Chaat Masala - 2 tsp


For Spicy masala

Potaoes - 5 boiled and mashed
tomato - 1 chopped
Green chillies - 3 finely chopped
Ginger - 2 tsp
Garlic - 1 tsp (optional)
Fresh corinader leaves
Mustard seeds
oil
Salt to taste
Kitchen king masala - 1tsp (optional)

Method :

Firstly we will make the masala. Now this masal is similar to the masala dosa masala preparation. U can even use the leftover masala from masala dosa to make this. Anyways, In a kadhai take some oil and put in the mustard seeds. Let it splutter and add the green chillies, garlic and ginger. Go ahead and put in the chopped tomatoes along with all the powders. Mix well. Cook till the tomato is tender and the masala is cooked. Add in the boiled mashed potatoes and add to it a cup of water. Mix well and let it cool well. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Now ur spicy masala is ready.

Assembling the Masala utthappam. Pour a big laddle full of batter on the pan and spread it to make a nice thick dosa. Sprinkle the chaat masala and chopped onions. Let it cook for 1 minute and scoop in a spoonful masala on the utthappam and flatten it. Pour oil on the sides on the dosa. Let one side cook completely well and then flip it over to cook the other side. Pour oil to the other sides too and cook well. Ur masala Utthappam is ready now to relish.

Enjoy ! Have fun.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Shubha

Have been following up with your blog for quite a while. Infact yours was the first few blog id look up daily, getting inspiration to start my own blog someday...

I couldnt resist from leaving a comment this time, firstly as the post was about masala uttapam and secondly " Thane ". I grew up in Mulund and studied in JeKe Singhania in Thane.

I wasnt aware that Masala Uttapam was served in a restaurant. I loved Alok's sizzlers back when Kobe's or Yoko's were least accessible to folks from this part of the city.

Nice post, my mouth waters simply looking at your pics.
I now live in the Bay area.

It was nice to write to you
Regards
-P

Priya said...

Hey Shubha,

Lovely entry da. Just saw in THM and came here to know more abt this entry.
Ill try this sometime for sure.

PD

Priya said...

Hi Shubha.. I love this dish also seems like all 'Priya' are ur fans ....I just wanted u to know I have now added you to my blog list on the main page of my blog....Keep up the good work!!

Tina said...

Masala uthappam sounds great...

Bharathy said...

Hi Shubha,

Yummy Masala Dosa with the addition of Kitchen King and chat Masala...Lovely twist!..making the regular one Lively, for sure!!! :)

Thanx for appciating chakka varatti.. :)
I'd never been a US resident.
You can try in hotter climate zones like Mexico for the fresh fruit..cos I remember having Mangoes, last time we visited.
Why don't you use the canned ones if you crave, dear??...compromising a bit with the taste....since this gets cooked well, I'm sure there wont be much dif from the authentic taste :)

Priya said...

Love ur blog ....an award is waiting for you at my blog ..Congratulations!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Guess first time here, wow I am impressed, you have great space here:) Lovely masala uthappams...

rohini said...

my family loves south indian food..and seeing this recepie...they would luv me more..hihii....now reading the next items....